Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Literature on persulfate
Metallus
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-2-2014 at 07:31
Literature on persulfate

I am a maniac of strong oxiders, I find redox reactions very appealing and always investigated the likes of permanganate, dichromate etc.

I recently got my hands on a sampe of K2S2O8, which I used in lab for the emulsion polymerization of styrene. I searched some more in the web to see any other applications for this oxidiser but only found that it's used as a bleaching agent and in the Elbs oxidation of phenol to hydroquinone.

Do you know of any article or literature about the chemistry of persulfate/perdisulfate that I could study? One of my professors once mentioned Caro's acid (H2S2O5) but he didn't want to teach me anything more. Also, I read that AgNO3 is usually added as a catalyst but couldn't find out why (I saw that Ag+ gets oxidised to Ag2+ but why should it be more efficient than the perdisulfate ion itself?)

Thanks for your attention, hoping you can help me out on this one.

PS:
While we are at it, do you know where I can study (strong) oxidisers in general? I researched for long all the reactions involving KMnO4 (my favorite compund) and K2Cr2O7 and learnt how reactive they can get when conc. H2SO4 is added (Mn2O7, my brother) and how easily they can set things on fire. But I want to go more into details: some reactions require that an additional substance is added (a catalyst): I want to learn which is the catalyst and WHY it is added. I want to know the most possible on the subject. Oxidizing fetish.
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-2-2014 at 07:58

Start by using the search facility of this forum, there's a wealth of information on these topics.

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 23-2-2014 at 12:27

I have done interesting experiments with persulfate, oxidizing silver(I) to silver(III) in the presence of nitrate ions. When this is done, a very intensely colored complex of silver(III) is formed. More info can be found in the following thread:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=23394

Peroxodisulfate in combination with silver nitrate is a fast oxidizer, which quickly converts chromium(III) to dichromate in acidic solution. Without the silver, the reaction does not occur or is very very slow.

I think that the silver is quickly oxidized to silver(III) and that the silver(III) in turn easily oxidizes chromium(III) to hexavalent chromium. The silver provides another pathway for the redox reaction.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net

Go To Top