Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Water treatment
kt5000
Hazard to Others

Mood: Final exams

[*] posted on 25-8-2014 at 20:11
Water treatment

Does anybody know what chemicals are commonly used to treat drinking water on a utility scale? I normally wouldn't bring a gardening question to this board, but this concerns treatment chemicals. :D

I've noticed plants grow very poorly on our public water. Neighbors have the same problem. Plants grow, but not very large, fruits/veggies are undersized, and some leaves brown and die prematurely. A local shop mentioned my water company has a reputation for killing plants. I'm wondering if it's a treatment chemical causing the issue.

What chemicals are commonly used? I'm going to test for chlorine and chloroamine. Not sure what else to look for..
Oscilllator
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-8-2014 at 20:55

Errr, if your water is indeed doing that to your plants, then it begs the question what is it doing to you?

I don't think it's very likely that the water is the problem here. Chlorines and chloramines are only ever present in very dilute solutions, and I think that they would react with various chemicals in the soil to form harmless byproducts (chloride, mostly) fairly quickly. It seems more likely that the soil is the culprit here, since it is known that soil quality can effect crop quality.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 26-8-2014 at 01:26

Quote:
I've noticed plants grow very poorly on our public water.

Check the water's pH ─ it may be too high for optimal plant growth.
Most plants (including cannabis) like their water slightly on the acid side!

AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 24-9-2014 at 09:59

Chlorine/hypochlorites are among tbe most popular chlorinating agents. In more recent years with a shift in the water table, we are witnessing an increase in nitrate level in the water supply. The combination of the two coupled with sunlight and time will also increase the formation of chlorates.

Given that NaClO3 is used as a weed killer, and perhaps, now since chlorates are potentially at higher levels in your drinking water (with god only knows what else), perhaps it just isn't compatible any more with your type of plant.

Maybe indeed your plant is dying to telling you something about your water, like don't drink it (but serving it up to your in-laws is still legal).

[Edited on 24-9-2014 by AJKOER]
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 24-9-2014 at 10:31

have you tried other water, perhaps its the environment, hearing alot of people having trouble growing anything, in several countries.. perhaps take a soil sample and send to an independent lab
may very likely be some toxic shit in the ground

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-9-2014 at 11:29

Indeed, my question would be apart from worrying about the water, how about the soil? The soil doesn't have to be toxic or poisonous at all but of course it's well known and understood that certain types of plants thrive in certain types of soil and not in others...

[Edited on 24-9-2014 by blogfast25]

chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 24-9-2014 at 13:07

Most public water supplies are regularly tested and the data are available when you know where to look or whom to ask. Check for B as well as halogen treatment, pH and hardness. B is a big plant killer.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
gregxy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-9-2014 at 13:28

Where I live (south west US) the water tastes aweful.
The PH tests to be 8.5
However if I grow plants in the rock-wool blocks and use tap water
along with a chemical fertilizer my plants grow great.

Trying to grow them in the ground does not work nearly as well.
It also depends on what type of plants. Some are very sensitive,
but they all do better in the rock-wool.
kt5000
Hazard to Others

Mood: Final exams

[*] posted on 10-10-2014 at 16:36

Quote: Originally posted by Antiswat  
have you tried other water, perhaps its the environment, hearing alot of people having trouble growing anything, in several countries.. perhaps take a soil sample and send to an independent lab
may very likely be some toxic shit in the ground

These were grown in buckets filled with a mix of store-bought topsoil and compost. The soil should have been great. I was reading up on chloramine, and it suggested that chloramine was mostly neutralized by minerals in the ground, but may not be neutralized well enough in potted plants. We were growing tomatoes, mostly, and the growth looked badly stunted. That same article suggested treating tap water with a small amount of crushed vitamin C tablets, so I'm going to try that in the spring and compare against a couple of control pots.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 05:59

Quote: Originally posted by kt5000  
That same article suggested treating tap water with a small amount of crushed vitamin C tablets, so I'm going to try that in the spring and compare against a couple of control pots.

Try it by all means but it sound like an urban myth put out by people who conflate all kinds of things.

If you really are concerned about that water, have it analysed by a competent institute.

hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 12:17

If you grow in containers, always buy a soil mix designed for container growing. Don't try to mix one yourself unless you know everything it takes to make a good container mix. Pro-mix BX with mitochondria is a good one. You can add organic fertilizer and mix it up well. Make sure your soil mix stays moist in the heat of summer. Containers can dry up and kill your roots if you're not careful and keep an even amount of moisture in your containers. Of course, water needs are plant specific.
Oxirane
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 14:20

Depending on where you live, the water may contain trace amounts of chlorine in chlorites. Hypochlorite is used in water desinfection in some areas, and it will kill most bacteria even in trace amounts (like 0.0xx% concentration), and it will certainly hinder any growth attempts.

But most water systems do not use chlorine, unless there is some maintenance going on, like leaks in the lines, detected contamination, etc. They use UVC packs and slow sand filtering to do the main water purification.

After these, the water pH plays a significant role. Some areas water may be surprisingly basic, even up to pH9.5, whereas many plants (like cannabis and chili, just a thought..), like pH levels between 5 and 6. Water hardness is also another factor. You can very easily lower the water pH by adding acid(I have always used diluted sulfuric acid and a pipette, you'll only need few drops, stir for a while and then measure it). This is for hydrophonic growing, soil growing is another business, but the same applies on irrigation water too.

Since some hydrophonic fertilizers contain nitric acid(which may form nitrates with other liquid fert. compounds), it may lower the pH on it's own, so do your tests. :)
pneumatician
Hazard to Others

Mood: ■■■■■■■■■■ INRI ■■■■■■■■■■ ** Igne Natura Renovatur Integra **

[*] posted on 29-10-2014 at 21:02

leave water for some days in an open container before use.

get rain water, if legal.

choose other plant tomatoes. go to a local farmer and ask what toma. is growing.

Go To Top