Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Copper compound on aluminum foil??
bigtrevs98
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

shocked.gif posted on 10-5-2015 at 20:49
Copper compound on aluminum foil??

So I was making copper(ii) acetate (again) and I got what I think to be like copper oxide sludge but I doubt it (and if I'm wrong please correct me) building up on the sides of the copper while the solution evaporates. (1:1 3% h2o2/5% acetic acid.
Well some of the "copper oxide" got on some aluminum foil I had laying around in. The light blue-green sludge automatically got little grey specks in it.
So I decided to try to recreate it and see if anything new would happen. I took BB size ball of the sludge and put it on a piece of foil and folded the foil onto the sludge. It began to get hot and even smoked a little. I open it up and it looked like it kinda burnt it... uhh what happened?

1431319619794.jpg - 391kB 1431319649706.jpg - 359kB
Edit: after the sludge Burns up it turns red/brown

[Edited on 11-5-2015 by bigtrevs98]

1431319787634.jpg - 359kB
Mesa
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 21:11

You may want to study the "reactivity series" a bit...
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-5-2015 at 05:08

3 Cu<sup>2+</sup>(aq) + 2 Al(s) === > 3 Cu(s) + 2 Al<sup>3+</sup>(aq)

Quite exothermic. Don't mix copper solutions with Al metal.

Milan
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-5-2015 at 05:10

Quote: Originally posted by bigtrevs98  
So I was making copper(ii) acetate (again) and I got what I think to be like copper oxide sludge but I doubt it (and if I'm wrong please correct me) building up on the sides of the copper while the solution evaporates. (1:1 3% h2o2/5% acetic acid.
Well some of the "copper oxide" got on some aluminum foil I had laying around in. The light blue-green sludge automatically got little grey specks in it.
So I decided to try to recreate it and see if anything new would happen. I took BB size ball of the sludge and put it on a piece of foil and folded the foil onto the sludge. It began to get hot and even smoked a little. I open it up and it looked like it kinda burnt it... uhh what happened?

Edit: after the sludge Burns up it turns red/brown

In the sludge you have copper and acetate ions, copper was displaced out of the solution by aluminium ions, because aluminium is more reactive than copper, the red/brown color is powdered copper metal. Again as Mesa said study the reactivity series a bit. Wikipedia's the best place to start so here a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactivity_series

Edit: Look like blogfast beat me to it while I was typing

[Edited on 11-5-2015 by Milan]
bigtrevs98
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-5-2015 at 15:37

That you both for the link I kinda skimmed it a bit (a bit busy will read asap tho) but one of my "kinda" questions weren't answered . Was it copper oxide that was built up on the copper (at start it was clean copper)or something else?

Edit: so why is the light blue stuff taking over my copper acetate???

1431387819831.jpg - 344kB
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 11-5-2015 at 15:42

No, CuO is black. If it's blue-green or bluish white, it's likely copper acetate or copper oxy-acetate, respectively. The second picture looks somewhat like copper oxy-acetate but it's really hard to tell because of the low quality. It's formed partially when you dissolve copper in a mix of acetic acid and hydrogen peroxide, or in larger amounts with more concentrated peracetic acid.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.

Go To Top