Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Separating MgCl2 from a solution of MgCl2 and CaCl2
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 21:43

Quote: Originally posted by Eli25  
by the way where can I find the rightest values of solubility and Ksp?

I want to know if CaSo4 is more insoluble or CaCo3? to know weather adding MgCo3 works better or adding MgSo4 to my solution to gain purer MgCl2!!!!
If handbooks like CRC, Lange's and Merck don't suit you, consider checking what are known as critical tables.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-5-2015 at 05:43

Quote: Originally posted by Eli25  
by the way where can I find the rightest values of solubility and Ksp?

I want to know if CaSo4 is more insoluble or CaCo3? to know weather adding MgCo3 works better or adding MgSo4 to my solution to gain purer MgCl2!!!!

Solubility products:

http://bilbo.chm.uri.edu/CHM112/tables/KspTable.htm

Quote: Originally posted by DistractionGrating  
Then, there is the "common ion effect" that can make some substances much less soluble when a common cation or anion is present. I'm still trying to figure this all out myself.

It is, simply put, the consequence of solubility products:

AB(s) < === > A<sup>+</sup>(aq) + B<sup>-</sup>(aq)

Ks = [A<sup>+</sup>] x [B<sup>-</sup>]

If the solution now also contains A<sup>+</sup>(aq) OR B<sup>-</sup>(aq) coming from another soluble compound, then it will push the equilibrium further to the left, rendering the compound AB even more insoluble. Example: CaCO3 + K2CO3. Discuss. ;)

[Edited on 16-5-2015 by blogfast25]

DistractionGrating
Hazard to Self

Mood: Precipitated

[*] posted on 16-5-2015 at 09:04

I have a basic grasp of the common ion effect. The part I'm wrestling with is how, for example, the presence of Mg and/or SO4 can make CaCO3 *more* soluble, as is the case in seawater.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-5-2015 at 09:42

Quote: Originally posted by DistractionGrating  
I have a basic grasp of the common ion effect. The part I'm wrestling with is how, for example, the presence of Mg and/or SO4 can make CaCO3 *more* soluble, as is the case in seawater.

One way the presence of 'spectator ions' can affect solubility is that they influence the so-called ionic strength of a solution. This has in turn an effect on the activity coefficients of the solvated species.

CaCO3's solubility is also, for obvious reasons, quite pH dependent. Dissolved CO2 also has an effect (formation of bicarbonates).

See Debye - Huckel theory for a better understanding. Oh, and good luck: it's complicated theory and that's one of the reasons we mostly assume the activity coefficients are one (which is only strictly true in infinite dilutions)

Edit: an interesting study that takes activity coefficients into account in the determination of the solubility product of Malachite, here:

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/pdf/10.1139/v57-177

[Edited on 16-5-2015 by blogfast25]

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top