Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: A probably very stupid idea
ave369
Eastern European Lady of Mad Science

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-8-2015 at 02:42
A probably very stupid idea

A probably very stupid idea just hit me, but it may seem interesting. What happens if I burn a PTFE flash powder in a glovebox filled with xenon?

As far as I heard, the extremely high temperatures produced by the flash powder cause fluorine to liberate from PTFE, which then immediately reacts with the metal in the flash powder. So, if xenon is also present, will any xenon fluorides form? If it works, it may be a relatively safe and available way to produce xenon compounds!

Maybe a minute amount of xenon tetrafluoride forms, sublimes and crystallizes on the glovebox walls. So if I burn a lot of flash powder in the box and then wash it with a solution of sodium hydroxide (to immediately bind both xenon trioxide and hydrogen fluoride which form when xenon tetrafluoride reacts with water), the resulting solution will have sodium xenate?

[Edited on 5-8-2015 by ave369]
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 5-8-2015 at 02:54

I do not see any practical benefits from this. I certainly can imagine that a tiny fraction of fluorine atoms bonds with Xe atoms, but in the horrible mess of all kinds of compounds you would have a hard time detecting any Xe-compounds, let alone isolating a macroscopic useful amount of Xe-compounds.

I myself have looked into obtaining Xe-compounds, but they are very very expensive. There is one seller in NL who is willing to sell XeF2 to amateur chemists, but the price is appr. EUR 185 per gram, appr. EUR 700 for 5 grams. The only other commercially available Xe-compound is Na4XeO6 (sodium perxenate), but this is not in the seller's list of available chemicals. Xenon itself also is very expensive, a glovebox full of Xe at atmospheric pressure probably will cost hundreds of euros.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
ave369

[*] posted on 5-8-2015 at 03:00

In my country, cylinders of medical xenon can be obtained on the gray market cheaply: a small cylinder of medical grade xenon-oxygen mix, with enough xenon to fill one small glovebox, can be bought for 2000 rubles (this is something like $30-$40). It is defitsit, which means it is hard to find, but it isn't prohibitely expensive.

Also, there may be a bajillion of fluorine compounds forming, but only a few of them are water-soluble. The lighter (the most toxic) perfluorocarbons will be ejected from the glovebox when you turn on the ventilation, together with unreacted xenon. The heavier, non-volatile perfluorocarbons are insoluble or immiscible with water, and will not react with the alkali; it would be easy to separate them. So is carbon soot. The washing solution will contain only several substances: the original NaOH, the fluoride of the metal used in the flash powder (if it's magnesium, the fluoride will be almost insoluble), and the products of reaction between xenon tetrafluoride and the alkali: sodium fluoride and sodium xenate. That's only four chemicals, and it will be possible to detect xenate in this solution, I think.

careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 5-8-2015 at 10:34

Why not do this in a reaction vessel (aka a "pipe") instead of burning it the "open xenon environment" (can't say "open air") in a glove box? Pressurizing it might enhance the effect also.
deltaH
Dangerous source of unreferenced speculation

Mood: Heavily protonated

[*] posted on 5-8-2015 at 12:09

Quote:
As far as I heard, the extremely high temperatures produced by the flash powder cause fluorine to liberate from PTFE

I would like to know more about this. Do you have a reference, please?

Polymers can thermally crack to form their monomers, so one could consider the hypothetical case where PTFE thermally cracks to form tetrafluoroethylene (TFE). Not saying this is the only cracking product, I just want to consider the thermodynamics of a likely product.

Certainly a reaction with aluminium can generate the high temperature required for thermal cracking, so I don't think there's much one needs to consider further there.

Let us then consider the 'combustion' of the idealised cracking product TFE in a Xe/O2 stream, assuming you run your thermite aluminium-lean in order to produce it.

C2F4(g) + 2O2(g) + 2Xe(g) => 2CO2(g) + 2XeF2(s)

The dG_rxn_standard = -339kJ/mol. C2F4

dG << 0

So that checks the first thermodynamics box.

References:

(1) XeF2 thermodynamic properties obtained in the abstract from http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/journal/jcp/57/11/10.10...

(2) Other thermodynamic properties obtained from the NIST webbook.

Mind your step or step your mind. Website: www.ideashack.org
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 5-8-2015 at 12:40

Quote: Originally posted by deltaH  

C2F4(g) + 2O2(g) + 2Xe(g) => 2CO2(g) + 2XeF2(s)

The dG_rxn_standard = -339kJ/mol. C2F4

And what about the expected reaction:

C2F4(g) + O2(g) => 2COF2(g)

Why would xenon just magically take over fluorine atoms? This does not make any redox sense.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 5-8-2015 at 12:52

Why do you want Xenon compounds ?

There may be better/easier routes to a Xenon compound, or an analogue you use instead (if you have a specific reaction in mind).

[Edited on 5-8-2015 by aga]

ave369

[*] posted on 5-8-2015 at 13:24

Quote:
As far as I heard, the extremely high temperatures produced by the flash powder cause fluorine to liberate from PTFE

Google "cf4 thermal decomposition" and you will see bajillions of references. CF4 decomposes and liberates fluorine at 2300-2800 C (2500-3000 K). Fluorine flash powders do provide such an extreme temperature.

Quote:
Why do you want Xenon compounds ?

One word: perferrate. I've read some Russian papers which argue that ferrate (VIII) exists and want to give it a try. But to synthesize it, I need bigger oxidizers than ferrate (VI). Xenates and perxenates seem to pack enough punch. Maybe perbromate will do the trick, but to synthesize it you need perxenate.

deltaH

[*] posted on 5-8-2015 at 13:36

Quote:
And what about the expected reaction:

C2F4(g) + O2(g) => 2COF2(g)

Why would xenon just magically take over fluorine atoms? This does not make any redox sense.

It's an assumption that CO2 forms instead of COF2 at elevated temperature. As I said, it checks the first thermodynamics box or should I say the first easy to calculate back-of-the-envelope box :P What one now needs to look at is what happens to the thermodynamics as a function of temperature and validate the assumption.

There isn't Cp data as a function of temperature available for XeF2 at high T AFAIK, but what you raise can essentially be simplified to the thermodynamic question around the following hypothetical equilibrium for which there is sufficient data on the NIST webbook site:

2COF2 + O2 <=> 2CO2 + 2F2

Since the dGf of the elements is zero and the same stoichiometric factor applies for COF2 and CO2, you can compare dGfs of those two species as a function of temperature and see at what temperature dGf_COF2 > dGf_CO2, if any.

That said, experience tells that the RHS wins at high temperature, although it might be interesting to know what the minimum temperature is.

[Edited on 5-8-2015 by deltaH]

deltaH

[*] posted on 5-8-2015 at 13:41

Quote: Originally posted by ave369  
Quote:

Google "cf4 thermal decomposition" and you will see bajillions of references. CF4 decomposes and liberates fluorine at 2300-2800 C (2500-3000 K). Fluorine flash powders do provide such an extreme temperature.

Thanks, very interesting reading!

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-8-2015 at 14:01

Ah, as I said, it checks the first thermodynamics box or should I say the first easy to calculate back-of-the-envelope box :P

What one now needs to look at is what happens to the thermodynamics as a function of temperature.

There isn't Cp data as a function of temperature available for XeF2 at high T AFAIK, but what you raise can essentially be simplified to the thermodynamic question around the following hypothetical equilibrium for which there is sufficient data on the NIST webbook site:

Since the dGf of the elements is zero and the same stoichiometric factor applies for COF2 and CO2, you can compare dGfs of those two species as a function of temperature and see at what temperature dGf_COF2 > dGf_CO2, if any.

No. That's incorrect.

ΔG<sub>reaction</sub><sup>0</sup> (at STP) can becompletely evaluated at 298 K, even if (obviously!) during an exothermic reaction temperature evolves. As long as as the system ends back up at 298 K, the functions ΔG<sub>f</sub>(T) of the species don’t matter because the equilibria adjust back to 298 K. Of course none of this says anything about kinetics at all.

But I’m not sure why I’m contributing here: this mad cap scheme to ‘prepare’ Xe fluorides as suggested by the OP will never be evaluated and is as such YET another SM red herring.

And this bit:

As far as I heard, the extremely high temperatures produced by the flash powder cause fluorine to liberate from PTFE, which then immediately reacts with the metal in the flash powder. So, if xenon is also present, will any xenon fluorides form? If it works, it may be a relatively safe and available way to produce xenon compounds!

...shows such a profound lack of understanding of equilibria it's hard to think where to begin to debunk this skunk. In plain English, it's nonsense.

[Edited on 5-8-2015 by blogfast25]

deltaH

[*] posted on 5-8-2015 at 14:15

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

Ah, as I said, it checks the first thermodynamics box or should I say the first easy to calculate back-of-the-envelope box :P

What one now needs to look at is what happens to the thermodynamics as a function of temperature.

No. That's incorrect.

ΔG<sub>reaction</sub><sup>0</sup> (at STP) can becompletely evaluated at 298 K, even if (obviously!) during an exothermic reaction temperature evolves. As long as as the system ends back up at 298 K, the functions ΔG<sub>f</sub>(T) of the species don’t matter because the equilibria adjust back to 298 K. Of course none of this says anything about kinetics at all.

But I’m not sure why I’m contributing here: this mad cap scheme to ‘prepare’ Xe fluorides as suggested by the OP will never be evaluated and is as such YET another SM red herring.

The issue nicodem raised is that COF2 will be forming and not CO2. I am saying that at low temperature COF2 will indeed form (and is the thermodynamically preferred product), but that at high temperature CO2 is the preferred thermodynamic product and gave an illustrative example of the equilibrium at play.

Hence this is why I made that assumption initially in calculating the thermodynamics at standard conditions that the reaction was forming CO2, because considering the reaction to form COF2 would be meaningless as there is no release of the fluorides and reaction to consider (the point nicodem I believe was trying to make, but my point is that that is not the case at high temperature).

I've edited the original to emphasise that it's an assumption of what's going on at high temperature, hopefully that's clearer.

Ah wait, I think I understand what you mean (maybe) is that CO2 and F2 (XeF2) will form COF2 when you cool it later on? If so then yes, that will be favoured, which is why you would need to quench the reaction as fast as possible and hope the kinetics for the reverse reaction is slow enough at low temperature to salvage product.

Anyway, I'm thoroughly confused and my brains addled, so going to sleep now...

I'm even writing CO2F2 :D

You and nicodem may well be right, fluorine kinetics are after all usually very fast, so perhaps practically one cannot quench the reaction fast enough to isolate the high temperature product and will simply end up with the low temperature thermodynamically favoured COF2.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-8-2015 at 14:36

And where, pray tell, would the fluorine come from, huh? The whole idea of the teflon flash powder is that PTFE reacts with the metal, forming metal fluoride. I.o.w the fluorine simply gets gobbled up, fuelling the enthalpy released by the flash powder. So the only potential source of fluorine would be extra teflon. Who can say whether that will decompose to C/F<sub>2</sub> though? Why can't it just melt, depolymerise somewhat and volatilise?

Seriously, this whole scheme is like hoping to use oxygen from a thermite reaction!

Keep doodling but you should know better, deltaH...

deltaH

[*] posted on 5-8-2015 at 14:56

Yes, my gut feeling was also against this, but I have to doodle :)

My mistake was making the assumption that the reaction forms CO2. Even if the assumption is justified at high temperature, it may well not quench fast enough and reverse while cooling, but that's a kinetics issue.

I don't know if your question about where the fluorine would come from was directed at me or ave369, but I interpreted this as being exactly as you said, one uses substoichiometric amounts of Al and cracks the excess PTFE into volatile fluorocarbons that then 'burn' in a oxy-xenon flame.

The aluminium is sitting in molten PTFE, so it doesn't see the oxygen, it just sees PTFE which is will happily react with. This releases cracked fluorocarbons.

The question is can the cracked fluorocarbons be 'burnt' in an oxy-xenon flame and quenched fast enough to form CO2 and XeF2. I simply considered the very first basic step on the path to that, namely, the thermodynamics of that reaction, specifically the high-temperature version.

Again, whether it can survive the cool down without forming COF2 is another matter altogether.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-8-2015 at 15:12

The OP's idea probably comes from a misinterpretation of a representation of Hess' Law to calculate ΔG:

PTFE == > carbon + F2

Me + F2 === > MeF2

PTFE + Me === > carbon + MeF2

But this is only an 'imaginary' pathway to allow calculation of ΔG, it has nothing to do with how this reaction actually proceeds. No free F<sub>2</sub> is ever present in the reaction mix.

ave369

[*] posted on 6-8-2015 at 00:43

Okay, let's do it differently. Let's not add xenon to the original flash powder, let's put some excess PTFE and surround the powder with iron instead. A mix of aluminium and more PTFE than stoichiometry with aluminium requires, and an outer layer of powdered iron. Iron becomes fluorinated together with aluminium and forms FeF3.

Later we make another powder, with FeF3 instead of PTFE. This compound definitely does decompose and liberate fluorine in macroscopic amounts at high temp, and requires lower temp to do this. And it's this we put into a pressurized bomb with xenon.

Will this work?

Of course, all powders are lit remotely, from 100 meters in an uninhabited locale. It's fluorine we are dealing with, after all.

[Edited on 6-8-2015 by ave369]
deltaH

[*] posted on 6-8-2015 at 01:54

Okay, let's do it differently. Let's not add xenon to the original flash powder, let's put some excess PTFE and surround the powder with iron instead. A mix of aluminium and more PTFE than stoichiometry with aluminium requires, and an outer layer of powdered iron. Iron becomes fluorinated together with aluminium and forms FeF3.

Later we make another powder, with FeF3 instead of PTFE. This compound definitely does decompose and liberate fluorine in macroscopic amounts at high temp, and requires lower temp to do this. And it's this we put into a pressurized bomb with xenon.

Will this work?

Of course, all powders are lit remotely, from 100 meters in an uninhabited locale. It's fluorine we are dealing with, after all.

No this is less likely to work. The problem is the very strong C-F bond. You need either a very strong oxidant (e.g. oxygen) or a very strong reductant (e.g. aluminium) to persuade carbon to part with its fluorine.

The formation of CO2 and very high temperature is a powerful thermodynamic driver and so a special case. That's why the oxy-xenon atmosphere had some small hope.

However, FeF3 is thermodynamically highly unfavoured at high T! The reverse reaction would likely readily occur, i.e. you could fluorinate carbon with FeF3 to generate fluorocarbons and FeF2/Fe!

[Edited on 6-8-2015 by deltaH]

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-8-2015 at 06:01

Really? The Standard Heat of Formation of FeF<sub>3</sub> is ΔH<sub>f</sub><sup>0</sup> = - 1042 kJ/mol (NIST webbook). That requires very high temperature to get significant dissociation. At that temperature any [Xe,F] compound would be completely dissociated. On cooling the Fe and F would of course simply recombine. THAT's what the equilibria tell us.

deltaH

[*] posted on 6-8-2015 at 06:09

Oops, I assumed FeF3 was like CoF3 by what ave369 was describing, my bad.

Quote:
However, FeF3 is thermodynamically highly unfavoured at high T!
Then this is junk, sorry :mad:

ave369

[*] posted on 6-8-2015 at 06:41

Okay. Then I'm abandoning the project and not going to do anything involving fluorine at all. As I thought, the idea is stupid.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-8-2015 at 07:12

Oops, I assumed FeF3 was like CoF3 by what ave369 was describing, my bad.

Quote:
However, FeF3 is thermodynamically highly unfavoured at high T!
Then this is junk, sorry :mad:

Dunno about CoF3 but for CoF2 it's largely junk too: HoF = - 672 kJ/mol, still quite respectable.

Really this whole 'idea' is predicated on the idea that PTFE + Xe ===> C + [Xe,F] over PTFE + metal === > C + metal fluoride and that's absurd, considering the low thermal stability of Xe fluorides (compared to metal fluorides).

[Edited on 6-8-2015 by blogfast25]

deltaH

[*] posted on 6-8-2015 at 10:09

As for the CoF3 forming fluorine on heating... it's something woelen once mentioned in passing on the reagent purchases thread, perhaps he didn't mean elemental fluorine, but fluorination? Anyway, wiki says it's a strong fluorinating agent. I just assumed that FeF3 behaved similarly because of what ave369 said, never bothered to check, my bad, sorry.

Dan Vizine
National Hazard

Mood: High Resistance

[*] posted on 10-8-2015 at 18:06

What's wrong with the accepted methods to Xenon fluorides? They actually work.

"All Your Children Are Poor Unfortunate Victims of Lies You Believe, a Plague Upon Your Ignorance that Keeps the Youth from the Truth They Deserve"...F. Zappa
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-8-2015 at 18:29

Quote: Originally posted by Dan Vizine  
What's wrong with the accepted methods to Xenon fluorides? They actually work.

Nothing. But this thread isn't about that: it's about someone's bandwidth consuming 'idea'! ;)

halogen
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-8-2015 at 19:38

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/1521-3757%2820011...

Durch Fluor-Chlor-Austausch an XeF+ entsteht das unterhalb von −10°C stabile, orangefarbene Chlor-Xenon-Salz XeCl+Sb2F11− (siehe Struktur im Kristall). Dies ist erst das dritte Edelgas-Monohalogen-Kation, und wie Rechnungen zeigen, dürfte die Synthese weiterer derartiger Kationen – mit Ausnahme der ArF+-Spezies – auch nicht gelingen.

Xenon Dichloride is too unstable to be isolated. It may be, however, that argentous fluoride and dichlorine prove possible to oxidize Xe. I don't feel like looking up tables, just "throwing the idea out there". If it helps. The original preparation of IF5 by George Gore - prior to Moissan's preparation of fluorine, and what a badass Gore was by the way, was from AgF and I2 under heavy heating.

F. de Lalande and M. Prud'homme showed that a mixture of boric oxide and sodium chloride is decomposed in a stream of dry air or oxygen at a red heat with the evolution of chlorine.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top