Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Red Material?
Agari
Banned

Mood: Lowest Oxidation State

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 15:03
Red Material?

I was making silicon tetrachloride using the following method:
-Added around 75 grams of crushed up TCCA pool tablets to a 3-neck flask and sealed one of the necks.
-Attached an addition funnel with a mixture of 50 milliliters of hydrochloric acid and 50 milliliters of water.
-I then connected the final neck of the flask to a test tube full of concentrated sulfuric acid using plastic tubing.
-I then connected the test tube with acid to a reaction tube with 12 grams of somewhat dry silicon powder inside.
-The reaction tube was then connected to a water-cooled condenser,which in turn was connected to another 3-neck flask placed in an ice bath,with one end being connected to an inverted-funnel trap in hydrogen peroxide.
-I then opened up the stopcock on the addition funnel,which then caused the HCl-water mixture to enter the flask with the TCCA inside and hopefully generate chlorine.
-I started heating the reaction tube with a blowtorch,and I could see that the silicon powder began to glow at seemingly random locations and traces of green gas(chlorine) inside the tube.
-After some time, I started heating the top of the tube.
In the end,the vapor that came over into the condenser turned a red-ish color,with some clear liquid dripping into my collecting flask.
In the end,my final product was a collecting flask with a red liquid inside,so the question is:What is the red liquid that ended up in my collecting flask? As far as my knowledge goes,silicon tetrachloride is colorless.

[Edited on 8-10-2015 by Agari]
Oscilllator
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 16:18

Nice Experiment Agari.
Is it possible that there were sulfur impurities in your silicon? If so, it is possible that you produced some sulfur dichloride, which is a red volatile liquid.
Agari
Banned

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 16:34

Quote: Originally posted by Oscilllator  
Nice Experiment Agari.
Is it possible that there were sulfur impurities in your silicon? If so, it is possible that you produced some sulfur dichloride, which is a red volatile liquid.

If I were to compare the look of the liquid to something we can all relate to,I would say that it looks like a strawberry smoothie and is rather opaque,and not a transparent liquid. But let's assume that it is sulfur dichloride,will vacuum filtration or sep-funneling isolate the silicon tetrachloride?

[Edited on 9-10-2015 by Agari]
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 16:47

Very nice experiment indeed, Agari. Of the kind we could do with many more over here. But a picture tells a thousand words, though (in addition to your good write up).

The red must almost by definition be caused by some impurity in your silicon, and as Oscillator said sulphur is a contender here.

Do you have any idea of the purity of your silicon powder or its provenance? It's easier to purify something if you know what the impurity might be.

Agari
Banned

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 16:55

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
Very nice experiment indeed, Agari. Of the kind we could do with many more over here. But a picture tells a thousand words, though (in addition to your good write up).

The red must almost by definition be caused by some impurity in your silicon, and as Oscillator said sulphur is a contender here.

Do you have any idea of the purity of your silicon powder or its provenance? It's easier to purify something if you know what the impurity might be.

Pic related:the collecting flask separate from the main setup,cropped out the unnecessary parts

WTF.jpg - 121kB
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 17:10

Going out on a limb here. The sulfuric acid is to dry the chlorine, right? How likely is it that your gas picked up something at this stage?
Agari
Banned

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 17:17

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Going out on a limb here. The sulfuric acid is to dry the chlorine, right? How likely is it that your gas picked up something at this stage?

Well,I would say that the most it could pick up is either water between the sulfuric acid flask and the collector or,as others are theorizing,possibly sulfuric acid,I did not monitor the conditions within the system,obviously. When I separated the condenser from the reaction tube, a white gas came out,probably chlorine and SiCl4.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 17:19

Things to look out for are tubing, connectors, sealing grease or seals that might react with chlorine and contaminate your SiCl<sub>4</sub>.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 17:21

Using conc. H2SO4 to dry something like Cl<sub>2</sub> is fairly standard and should not be problematic. Cough.

100PercentChemistry
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 17:30

I can't find much. The silicon tetrachloride is not red. It could either be impurities, or a siloxane. Silicon tetrachloride reacts with water to form those.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 17:33

Quote: Originally posted by 100PercentChemistry  
IIt could either be impurities, or a siloxane. Silicon tetrachloride reacts with water to form those.

Siloxanes are colourless too.

100PercentChemistry
Hazard to Others

I can't find much. The silicon tetrachloride is not red. It could either be impurities, or a siloxane. Silicon tetrachloride reacts with water to form those.
Agari
Banned

In either case, what should I do to separate the silicon tetrachloride from the rest of the product? Will a simple distillation work? Do I need to vacuum filter or use a sep-funnel?
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 17:34

Using conc. H2SO4 to dry something like Cl<sub>2</sub> is fairly standard and should not be problematic. Cough.

I was not really questioning the procedure. More the possible issues of contaminants (source of sulfuric acid?), plastic hose, rubber bung and any interactions these may have with either Cl2 or the acid. I was also throwing out a wild stab as to whether drying the chlorine was completely necessary in this case. If you removed this step and the problem resolved, you would have isolated the cause. Thus far in the thread no one had mentioned the drying stage.

Sorry for not explaining myself clearly. [offers blogfast a tissue for his cough]

[edit]

And there is the answer on why it is necessary to dry the chlorine. Ignorance fought.

[Edited on 9-10-2015 by j_sum1]
Oscilllator
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 17:35

The fact that your product is cloudy means that the impurities are solid (barring emulsion silliness). Since silicon tetrachloride has a very low boiling point, I would suggest gently re-distilling it. This has a very good chance of removing the red contaminant, and you can then easily conduct tests on it to determine its nature.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 17:36

Quote: Originally posted by Agari  

In either case, what should I do to separate the silicon tetrachloride from the rest of the product? Will a simple distillation work? Do I need to vacuum filter or use a sep-funnel?

Distillation would probably work, since as much of the impurity is present as a solid but as you know SiCl<sub>4</sub> is very sensitive to water, so you need to use quite dry equipment.

I do think we should continue to try and find the root cause of the contamination. That makes good science.

[Edited on 9-10-2015 by blogfast25]

100PercentChemistry
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 17:37

Agari
Banned

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 17:41

Quote: Originally posted by Agari  

Distillation would probably work, since as much of the impurity is present as a solid but as you know SiCl<sub>4</sub> is very sensitive to water, so you need to use quite dry equipment.

I do think we should continue to try and find the root cause of the contamination. That makes good science.

The concentration of the sulfuric acid is around 85%(rough estimate) and approximately 35% for hydrochloric,but I can't think of much that could contaminate the result. I should note that I saw a white gas inside the reaction tube at the beginning of the experiment,and I know that Chlorine is yellow-green,but i think the white is either sulfuric acid or water vapor,so I will accept that it could be sulfur dichloride.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 17:44

And there is the answer on why it is necessary to dry the chlorine. Ignorance fought.

[Edited on 9-10-2015 by j_sum1]

Yes, it would be folly to try such direct chlorination reactions with moist chlorine.

100PercentChemistry
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 17:45

I found the video form of your method. I am still looking... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wU77anzCzxg

It's probably sulfur dichloride. Most siloxanes are colorless.

[Edited on 9-10-2015 by 100PercentChemistry]
Agari
Banned

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 17:47

I found the video form of your method. I am still looking... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wU77anzCzxg

I actually did the experiment based on Nile's video,I thought SiCl4 might be a useful reagent,though altered the quantities and possibly concentrations,still got red liquid.Yes yes,I know that I am a "scrub" for following it word-for-word.

Any future way to prevent contamination? I am planning on using the method in the video to make some more tetrachloride,and apparently all I had to do was filter it with cotton.

While we are on this thread,what could SiCl4 be used for as a reagent to synthesize something that can reasonably be made at home?

100PercentChemistry
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 17:57
Removing the red

Nile red's video says "I'm not sure what the red stuff is, but it's in a suspension, so it can be filtered away".
Agari
Banned

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 17:58

Nile red's video says "I'm not sure what the red stuff is, but it's in a suspension, so it can be filtered away".

Well,since I already got the red as my final product,I would want to isolate it as well and probably store it if possible. Yeah,seems like I had to use cotton,just watched the very end.
Now that the problem is sovled,maybe one of us should drop a comment on Nile's video,even though he is unlikely to see it.

Is the chlorine generated from TCCA according to this equation: 3HCl + C3Cl3N3O3 = 3CNOH + 3Cl2?
Where the byproducts are chlorine and cyanic acid?

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 18:23

In the case of 'Nile Red's' video the red contamination is almost 100 % due to reaction of chlorine or SiCl<sub>4</sub> with the sealant at the entry and/or exit of the reaction tube. Using rubber/plastic at these points, especially the exit, is really asking for trouble: use glass or teflon joints there.

Nile Red' would also have done better to start heating at the left hand side of the Si, then gradually move heat (burner) to the right, to get much higher yield. Doing so would exploit the considerable heat of reaction to heat the silicon to the right of the reaction front. Despite those flaws it's a nice experiment.

Agari
Banned

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 19:03

In the case of 'Nile Red's' video the red contamination is almost 100 % due to reaction of chlorine or SiCl<sub>4</sub> with the sealant at the entry and/or exit of the reaction tube. Using rubber/plastic at these points, especially the exit, is really asking for trouble: use glass or teflon joints there.

Nile Red' would also have done better to start heating at the left hand side of the Si, then gradually move heat (burner) to the right, to get much higher yield. Doing so would exploit the considerable heat of reaction to heat the silicon to the right of the reaction front. Despite those flaws it's a nice experiment.

Well,we should drop a comment on his video lol.
Is the chlorine generated from TCCA according to this equation: 3HCl + C3Cl3N3O3 = 3CNOH + 3Cl2?
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top