Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What the hell did i make??
Fegie
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

sad.gif posted on 6-4-2016 at 08:28
What the hell did i make??

Up front im gonna apologize if this is in the wrong forum section...

Now, i created a viscous liquid, close to the viscosity of sulfuric acid by mixing sulfuric acid, ammonium nitrate and sodium hydroxide(gun hot bluing stuff, ran out of potassium nitrate so tried to improvise) in an attempt to make nitric acid.
In the beginning i already knew that i might not get much nitric acid if any at all since the compound had sodium hydroxide in it.
I heated the solution in a round bottom flask which led to an allihn condenser.
When i added sulfuric acid to the hot bluing flakes/powder some nitrogen dioxide was produced, only for a moment and it stopped.
I then i heated it to a boil and i started getting something out of the condenser, it was a sulfuric acid like liquid in viscosity and appearance, it definitely was not nitric acid...

I tried to get an idea what it reacts with.
With copper, nothing.
Sodium chlorate, nothing.
hydrochloric acid, nothing.
sugar, nothing.
Sodium hydroxide, nothing.

Now it gets interesting.
I was also producing chloroacetone whilist i was experimenting, as the people who have dealt with this nasty stuff know adding it to a sodium hydroxide solution causes alot of heat and a nice crimson color(if concentration of chloroacetone is high enough).
I mixed the unknown liquid with crude, undistilled(still had alot of acetone and precipitate) chloroacetone, nothing happened.

BUT, when i added the unknown liquid to a beaker that contained my test sample of chloroacetone which i had tested with sodium hydroxide(strong solution sodium hydroxide and crude chloroacetone) which had already been colored pink by the reaction suddenly took an immensely fast transformation from slight pink to pure, clean red...
Not crimson like you get with high concentrations of chloroacetone, but a pure, lovely red.
Two layers had been formed, the bottom layer had been dyed entirely dark red and the bottom layer was left untouched...

When the liquid was added the reaction didnt seem to be exothermic like chloroacetone/sodium hydroxide is.
The color became light brown after an hour

This left me thinking, what the hell did i make?

I honestly would love if someone could tell me what the liquid is, or atleast help me to identify what it is by giving me some sort of examples on what to do with it.
I currently have 100 milliliters of the distillate outside in a flask.

:)

Ive been scratching my head over this thing for two days, trying to google my way over to what i made but it seems the question has not risen up regarding these chemicals yet...

HOWEVER.
There is a chance that it was potassium nitrate based bluing solution instead of ammonium nitrate one, as the household has a bucket of each with no labels on them...

Oh and it had no smell of a kind that i would notice if it was present in a room.
Bean
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-4-2016 at 09:04

Are the reactants used to create the viscous liquid pure?
Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
7-4-2016 at 09:19
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 7-4-2016 at 09:26

You know enough about chemistey to blue a gun and make chloroacetone? But just randomly throw chemicals into a beaker. Odd.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-4-2016 at 10:25

Quote: Originally posted by Fegie  

Now, i created a viscous liquid, close to the viscosity of sulfuric acid by mixing sulfuric acid, ammonium nitrate and sodium hydroxide(gun hot bluing stuff, ran out of potassium nitrate so tried to improvise) in an attempt to make nitric acid.

Sulphuric acid and sodium hydroxide react to form sodium sulphate. You can't substitute potassium nitrate by sodium hydroxide, that's just plain silly. And depending on the concentration of the reagents potentially quite dangerous too...

[Edited on 7-4-2016 by blogfast25]

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 7-4-2016 at 11:03

Enough detail to pique interest.

Not enough to do anything other than ask questions and speculate.

14-P-6
Fegie
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-4-2016 at 12:32

Quote: Originally posted by Bean  
Are the reactants used to create the viscous liquid pure?

Sulfuric acid was 95%
nitrate/sodium hydroxide was technical grade, did contain some amounts of moisture, was dried before use though.

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
Quote: Originally posted by Fegie  

Sulphuric acid and sodium hydroxide react to form sodium sulphate. You can't substitute potassium nitrate by sodium hydroxide, that's just plain silly. And depending on the concentration of the reagents potentially quite dangerous too...

[Edited on 7-4-2016 by blogfast25]

yeah im aware that what was left in the flask was sodium sulphate or sodium bisulphate, depending how much sodium hydroxide was used.

I was not trying to substitute anything here, the nitrate contained sodium hydroxide because it was a gun hot bluing chemical.
I would have used pure nitrate but i ran out of it and getting more of it was not possible.

What im interest in is the distillate, it does not contain sodium hydroxide at all yet it boosted the color change that happens between sodium hydroxide and chloroacetone...

Go To Top