Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Chromium and nickel separation
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 20-2-2016 at 11:22

How would a hypochlorite oxidation be performed? I'd convert the Ca to K first, so that K salts only are present, for the dichromate. How to ensure there is no unreacted hypochlorite before acidification, without causing more problems?

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-2-2016 at 12:16

Quote: Originally posted by S.C. Wack  
How would a hypochlorite oxidation be performed? I'd convert the Ca to K first, so that K salts only are present, for the dichromate. How to ensure there is no unreacted hypochlorite before acidification, without causing more problems?

Why not use thin bleach (4 - 5 % NaClO usually) and drive off any unreacted ClO<sup?-</sup> in strongly acid conditions as Cl2?

How would that 'cause more problems'?

[Edited on 20-2-2016 by blogfast25]

S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

[*] posted on 20-2-2016 at 13:55

I just don't have that same confidence that this mixture of K, chloride, water, sulfuric acid, and hypochlorous acid does not interact with dichromate in some way. It shouldn't be hard to test...thanks for volunteering me.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-2-2016 at 14:16

The OP's objective is to separate Ni and Cr, primarily to obtain some Ni compound, not to prepare chromate.

Prepare dichromate by fusing KNO3 with Cr2O3. Very high yield even with pottery Cr2O3.

[Edited on 20-2-2016 by blogfast25]

S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

[*] posted on 21-2-2016 at 14:55

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
The OP's objective is to separate Ni and Cr, primarily to obtain some Ni compound, not to prepare chromate.

Quote: Originally posted by Elawr  
It would be fun to separate and isolate these two metals using the limited technology I have here in my garage, (i.e baking soda, vinegar, hotplate, etc.).

Dichromate. Potassium, as specifically indicated. It's a wonderful way to isolate your Cr, I'm not the one who brought up chromate, I actually care, and if you are at chromate already then why not?

It's all true Cl will be distilled off with water from the acidified hypochlorite filtrate without problems other than the poisonous corrosive vapors thing. I guess I have to say that boiling the excess alkaline Ca hypochlorite instead is also a possibility, and if one thinks that reducing to some insoluble not-hexavalent-Cr sludge instead is the start of some desired isolation path then go that way by all means.

[Edited on 21-2-2016 by S.C. Wack]

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-2-2016 at 15:19

Quote: Originally posted by S.C. Wack  

Dichromate. Potassium, as specifically indicated. It's a wonderful way to isolate your Cr, I'm not the one who brought up chromate, I actually care, and if you are at chromate already then why not?

It's all true Cl will be distilled off with water from the acidified hypochlorite filtrate without problems other than the poisonous corrosive vapors thing. I guess I have to say that if one thinks that reducing to some insoluble Cr sludge instead is the start of some desired isolation path then go that way by all means.

I suggested H2O2, not hypochlorite.

But for those wanting to use weak NaClO and blow off any excess hypochlorite in acid conditions as Cl2, I can't foresee any particular problems with that. I could be wrong on that, of course. If you foresee interference maybe you should search for information about that?

Quote:
I guess I have to say that if one thinks that reducing to some insoluble Cr sludge instead is the start of some desired isolation path then go that way by all means.

Eh? Who brought that up or believes that?

[Edited on 21-2-2016 by blogfast25]

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top