Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How hazardous is mercury droplets?
laguzaza
Harmless
*




Posts: 4
Registered: 24-8-2018
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 20-10-2018 at 22:57
How hazardous is mercury droplets?


So I was trying to remove mercury from my old thermometer before discarding it and I accidentally dropped some droplets of mercury.
I was able to collect most of them but when I tried to pick the last piece of mercury it slipped away and I couldn't find it anywhere.

I recall its radius was about 1mm and what I'm concerned is can it pose a serious threat to health should it vaporizes? The accident happened in my room and I keeping my window open to ventilate air.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
j_sum1
Super Moderator
*******




Posts: 4069
Registered: 4-10-2014
Location: Oz
Member Is Offline

Mood: Metastable, and that's good enough.

[*] posted on 21-10-2018 at 00:32


I don't think it is all that hazardous in the amounts you have described. But given it is a closed room and you will be breathing a significant amount of the air in there, caution might not be a bad thing.

Sprinkle some fine sulfur powder over the area where the Hg may be sitting. Move it round a bit with a broom. Let it sit for a while. Then vacuum it up and discard the vacuum bag straight away.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Panache
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 1081
Registered: 18-10-2007
Member Is Offline

Mood: Green is not a creative colour

[*] posted on 21-10-2018 at 00:37


I concur with 'chasin. No need to get all apoplectic about it. It's generally always exposureover time elements that causeissue. So unless you drop a drop every day in your room for two years you'll probably never notice
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Sulaiman
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 2001
Registered: 8-2-2015
Location: Behind You
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 21-10-2018 at 02:25


Quote: Originally posted by Panache  
So unless you drop a drop every day in your room for two years you'll probably never notice

I'd be more concerned if all 730 drops were placed in the room at the beginning of the two years.
Mercury evaporates so slowly that 730 slightly smaller, dustier drops will probably still be present after the two years.
With moderate ventilation, one drop of mercury will not evaporate quickly enough to build up a significant concentration of mercury vapour,
which in ant case is much denser than air.
So if your room is ventilated, do not worry.
But do not sleep on the floor ;)
View user's profile View All Posts By User

  Go To Top