Nearly dry mercury(II) nitrate
| IUPAC name
| Other names
|Molar mass||324.60 g/mol (anhydrous)|
|Density||4.3 g/cm3 (monohydrate)|
|Melting point|| monohydrate|
79 °C (174 °F; 352 K)
|Solubility|| Soluble in acetone, ammonia, nitric acid|
Insoluble in alcohol
|Vapor pressure||~0 mmHg|
|Safety data sheet||Sigma-Aldrich (monohydrate)|
| Mercury(II) chloride|
Except where otherwise noted, data are given for materials in their standard state (at 25 °C [77 °F], 100 kPa).
Mercury(II) nitrate (Hg(NO3)2) is a very toxic white soluble crystalline mercury(II) salt of nitric acid. It was used in the past to treat fur to make felt in a process called "carroting". The phrase 'mad as a hatter' is associated with psychological illness brought on by excessive exposure to mercury(II) nitrate.
Mercury(II) nitrate is a white solid, soluble in water and nitric acid.
Mercury(II) nitrate is sold by chemical suppliers, however, due to its hazards it's extremely difficult to get hold of.
The sale of mercury(II) nitrate, like most mercury compounds, is restricted in many countries due to it's great toxicity. Its sale in EU is banned without a proper hazardous substance permit.
- 4 HNO3 + Hg → Hg(NO3)2 + 2 NO2 + 2 H2O
To dry it, the solution is gently heated until the compound solidifies. Do not heat it too high as it will decompose.
If diluted nitric acid is used instead, mercury(I) nitrate will be formed.
Mercury(II) nitrate is extremely toxic. It can absorb through skin. Wear proper protection when handling the compound.
Mercury(II) nitrate should be stored in closed bottles, with a proper label, indicating it's a dangerous compound. Plastic (PE or PP) bottlers are ideal, as they will not break if they're dropped on a hard surface, like the floor.
Mercury(II) nitrate should be converted to an insoluble form, such as mercury sulfide then taken to hazardous waste disposal centers.